This tutorial tells you the ways of printer installation on your PC if you are not having the printer’s software installation disk. Usually, you can do it with the help of a USB cable. It comes with the printer. In case your printer is older, you may have to download the printer’s software directly from the website of the printer manufacturer.
Method One: Use A USB Cable If The OS Is Windows
- Plug the USB cable of the printer Into your PC: It should be fitted into one of given USB ports on your laptop or on the front or back of your desktop. If there is no USB cable provided with your printer, you have to get one for the printer before continuing. Check for the model number of your printer followed by the “USB cable”. If no USB cable is available for the printer, you have to manually install the software instead.
- You may also need to plug the cable’s non-USB end into the printer.
- Turn on your printer: Press the power button of the printer to turn it on. Before proceeding, you should wait for one minute or so for sure after doing this.
- If you plugged the printer into the computer and it doesn’t prompt the process of installation to start, you should continue with this one.
- In most of the cases, when you simply turn on the printer after you connect it to your computer, it will prompt the installation of the printer to start. If so, you should follow the prompts being shown on-screen until the printer is installed.
- Open start. After that click on the Windows symbol given at the bottom-lest side of the computer screen. Start menu will be opened.
- Type the words ‘printers and scanners’ into the Start menu. By doing so, you will be able to search for Printers and Scanners option on your PC.
- Click on the ‘Printers & Scanners’ option. You will get to see Add Printers or Scanners at the top of Start window.
- Click on ‘Add a Printer/Scanner’. It is the first option you will see in ‘Printers & Scanners’ window.
- Click on your printer’s name. It should be shown in Add a printer/scanner window. By doing so, you will see a window for printer’s installation.
- Follow the installation steps that are being shown on screen. Each printer will be having a distinct process of installation. Once the process of installation is complete, the printer should work.
Method Two: Use A USB Cable If The OS Is Mac
- Make sure about the printer’s compatibility with Mac. Not all the printers can run on Mac’s operating system. Before spending hours in trying to install the printer on Mac, check the model name and model number of your printer to see if the printer is compatible with Mac.
- Ensure that your printer is close to the computer. Most of the printers come with the USB-to-printer cables, which are relatively short. These cables allow you to connect the printer to the Mac for the direct communication between your printer and the computer. To attach the cable, the printer and the computer must have been placed close to one another.
- Be sure to have one USB adapter in case it is needed. No traditional USB ports are provided in most of the modern Mac computer instead, they come with the smaller USB-C ports. In this case, one USB-to-USB-C adapter (from Apple) will be needed to attach the USB cable to Mac.
- Plug your printer’s USB cable into your PC. Get it fitted into one of the given USB ports situated at the sides of your PC (laptop) or on back of your iMac display (desktop).
- If you need the adapter, you should first plug that adapter into USB-C port and then the USB cable into the adapter.
- Turn on your printer. Press the power button of the printer to turn it on.
- Click on the ‘install’ option when prompted. By doing this, Mac will detect the printer automatically and determine whether it needs an update or not. If you never installed your printer on the Mac, you will be getting the update prompt.
- Follow the prompts that are given on-screen. Click through the installation steps of your printer to install the latest versions of the software and drivers at your Mac. When this process gets completed, you’ll get to use the printer.
Method Three: To Download The Software
- Consult the printer’s user manual. The user manual may be having a section with the instructions specific to the printer model and you should follow what is mentioned in it in order to install the printer on your computer without software. In that case, follow the instructions to find and then download the printer’s software.
- Go to the website of your printer’s manufacturer. For example, if you have an HP printer, you should go to http://www.hp.com/. Some other popular websites are:
- Canon- https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support
- Epson- https://epson.com/
- Brother- http://www.brother-usa.com/printer/
Click on the ‘Printers’ tab. Each manufacturer’s website may vary in appearance and you should check for this option around the top of the page.
If a search bar is provided on top of the page, type the model name of your printer and skip the next given step.
- Search for the printer model. You should either scroll through the mentioned models or enter the printer’s model name into the search bar provided if applicable.
- Check for the “Software” download link. You may be asked to enter the printer model again in the search bar provided, to find the software here.
- Some manufacturers’ websites give the link Download Software in very small fonts at the bottom of the web page.
- Click on the download link for the printer’s software. Doing so will prompt the printer’s software to let it start downloading at your computer.
- Wait for the software to be downloaded. This may take some seconds or minutes.
- When prompted, you should choose the save location first.
- Unzip the printer software’s folder if the OS is windows. You have to simply double-click on the folder, then double-click on the setup file and click on OK when prompted. After that choose the location on click on Extract here… in order to unzip the software’s folder.
- Mac users have to simply double-click on the folder and open it.
- If the software is downloaded in an unzipped setup file, you should skip this step.
- Double-click on the setup file. If you are on Windows, open that new unzipped folder first, then double-click on the EXE file in the folder. On Mac, simply double-click on the setup file to run it (it will most likely be a DMG file).
- On Mac, if you are using MacOS Sierra then you may be asked to verify software to continue.
- Follow the instructions being shown on screen. What you will see after you click the setup file may vary according to the operating system you are using and the printer, so you should just follow the prompts being shown on screen until the software installation is complete.
- Try to connect the printer to the computer. If the printer has a USB cable, you should try to connect it to the computer to check if the computer recognizes your printer now. If your printer connects via a Wi-Fi only, you should make sure that both your printer and the computer have been connected to the Internet. You should be able to use your printer now.